We are Radio Northern Europe International, a shortwave show playing music from Norway 🇳🇴 , the UK 🇬🇧 , Ireland 🇮🇪 , Denmark 🇩🇰 , Sweden 🇸🇪 , Finland 🇫🇮 and Iceland 🇮🇸 to the world!
We make a 30 minute journey of lesser known music from Northern Europe in various languages and styles for our international audience.
We prefer to play small artists over big artists so our international audience can enjoy something they’ve never heard before!
Being a show on shortwave, we operate quite differently from conventional domestic FM and MW/AM stations. Our show is sent off to transmission companies in The Netherlands (Onda), Germany (Channel 292), America (WRMI), Australia (Unique Radio) and New Zealand / Aotearoa (World FM).
Below is the map of where our signals can be picked up:
- WRMI 5850 and 7780 broadcasts are weekly broadcasts meaning each show will be played on that transmitter 4 or 5 times.
- Onda (the dark pink circle) plays the show on the last Sunday of the month.
- Channel 292 plays the show multiple times a month at different times for different places (the coverage is generally close when the sun is up and far when it’s down).
- Unique Radio plays RNEI 2 times a week.
- World FM New Zealand plays us once a week going between 3 different times.
We get lots of emails from people saying where they’re listening to us from. Here is a map of all the different places our listeners were when they listened to us in 2020:
We predict each show will get between 100 and 1000 live over-the-air listeners and we average about 50 listeners on different on demand platforms.
You can expect to be noticed by a few people if they like your music and you get bragging rights about being on ‘international radio’!
We’ve worked hard to make our audio sound good over shortwave.
Being a narrowband mono medium that relies on bouncing off of the sky, it usually sounds very poor but we have made a stereo over mono technology among other improvements to have our signal sound like this:
When we find a lesser known song we want to play we like to talk to the artist / management and make an intro jingle with them, here are some examples we’ve done:
We hope you have fun working with us!